August and a rainy Thursday morning

Wednesday was a great day. Fishing, boating, swimming, skiing, dinner out, and no clean up! This morning I ignored my alarm and slept a little longer. I could hear the wind in the trees and the lake slapping the pontoon and kayak and I got up to a grey sky, rain, and a very quiet morning. It is a good way to begin the day.

this morning’s weather screenshot, courtesy the Weather Channel’s weather app

Yesterday was a fun day. O awoke and asked me why I let her sleep late, it was after all 8:30, and I told her it was foggy and I didn’t want to take the boat out in the fog. Nevertheless, it had almost cleared and I was almost finished with my work and I asked her to load the boat and get it ready for fishing. She did a good job getting everything ready for our expedition. We lowered the pontoon and set out on our adventure. I was worried about the boat and was very cautious where we stopped. But, the boat did not disappoint us and worked the entire day! Our first spot produced no fish. Our second spot, none. Finally, we moved across the lake to a spot we’d never tried before and, NO FISH. O was disappointed and I was ready to head home. She didn’t want to give up, yet. So, I moved the boat to a spot along the drop off and stopped. She protested and claimed the spot was no good; and I told her this was our last stop before going in, it was close to 11 and we needed to wrap up our adventure. Reluctantly, she baited her hook and tossed it in. Moments later, she pulled one in excitedly hollering,

“Dad, I got one! Dad!”

O and one of her fish, Wednesday morning

It was fun to watch the kids in the water with Ivy. Momma and I read while the kids floated and played.  It was late afternoon, when we decided to head back to the cottage and get our skiing gear to take advantage of the calm lake. O tried and got up for a brief moment before falling back into the water. After a few tried, she was finished for the day and no amount of coaxing would get her to try again. W jumped in the water, strapped on the skis, and he skied the rest of the afternoon and all the way home.It was a pretty day and we decided to cross the lake and swim at ‘the Beach.’ The lake has a sand bottom and is relatively shallow; there are a few places around the lake where there is a break along tree-lined banks and you find a shallow landing with a beach. Ivy came along and we took off. Ivy loves the lake and riding the boat. Normally, on a sunny afternoon, the beach is crowded, but it was Wednesday and there were only few boats and families enjoying the sun and the lake. Momma and O jumped in wading and floating. I took Ivy for a walk and W called asking why we left him behind. Momma told him to kayak across the lake and he joined us after paddling across. The kids had a good time and I did, too.

W outside of the wake, putting up a spray

It was a great day and not a single weed was harmed in the making of the day! But as Roald Dahl wrote in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”

I am glad we skipped we skipped weeding, it was much more fun and we needed to get out on the lake. It WAS a great day and we finished it by going out to eat for burgers and stopping for ice cream on the way home. Ivy greeted us, sleepily, when we got home and we turned on the Olympics to watch the swimming races and men’s gymnastics finals. I turned the TV off long after I should have, climbed into bed, and fell fast asleep.

I can hear the rumble of thunder in the distance and it sounds nice, nothing like Monday night’s storm, but pleasant rumbling and gentle rain. Today is gonna be a great day, I know it. Making the Days Count, one rainy summer day at a time.

What kind of nonsense do you enjoy now and then, to break up summer and skip out on work?

One thought on “August and a rainy Thursday morning

Thanks for visiting MtDC. How are YOU Making YOUR Days Count?